ICV conceived and tested a new yeast fermentation nutrient: BoosterRouge
• BoosterRouge is an inactivated yeast from the ICV range of selected yeast
• BoosterRouge is developed, produced and packaged by Lallemand to permit a rapid availability of the soluble
fractions of yeast cell walls.
• The inactivated yeast in BoosterRouge is naturally selected Saccharomyces cerevisiae. The ICV yeast used has
not been genetically manipulated during its isolation, selection, production or inactivation. BoosterRouge
conforms to the oenological Codex edited by the OIV and conforms to the FAO norms, particularly with respect to
the absence of heavy metals and fungicides.
1. Main technical objectives for winemaking with Booster Rouge:
Less production of sulfur compounds.
Modification of the colloidal balance of the wine resulting in:
Optimizing the length of the malolactic fermentation.
Greater perception of intense volume in the initial mouthfeel due to the perceived tannin intensity in red wines.
Interaction between the aromatic precursors and the yeast macromolecules giving an impression of greater fruit
and freshness and limiting the ethereal, chemical and burning sensations, particularly from botrytized grapes.
Limiting the aromatic perception of “sawdust” when the wine is aged in new oak barrels.
Stabilization of the color extracted during the vinification of the grapes infected with Botrytis cinerea.
2. Recommended dosage:Add BoosterRouge to the must at 227g/ton (0.5 lb/ton) or 30 g/hL (2.4 lb/1000 gal) towards the end of fermentation.
BoosterRouge provides a minor supply of yeast nutrients, but does not replace the regular nutrition program integrating juice
parameters and the nutritional needs of yeast strains. BoosterRouge does not contain any inorganic nitrogen (DAP).
Increase the dosage under the following conditions:
High potential alcohol (greater than 13%vol.) with a low potential color (IC final approx.: < 5): to limit the risks of an
imbalance between the alcohol and the phenolic and colloidal structure of the wine.
In the case of an absence of oxygenation during fermentation (either by measured choice or from a technical impossibility):
to limit the risk of sulfur off-flavors and to limit the instability of the pigments.
To compensate for a risk of dilution of the grapes (big berries coming from the varietal, the vigor of the plant or from overirrigation) and other risks of Botrytis cinerea once under the skin.
Mix this product in water or must (1kg per 10L). BoosterRouge is partially soluble and should be checked for proper resuspension before being added to the juice to be treated. BoosterRouge is supplied in 1 kg or 2.5 kg sealed plastic bags. Store
in a dry environment below 25 °C.
3. The objectives of the vinification with BoosterRouge:
• Mid-range red wines from high yield vines: to develop the intensity of the mid-palate and the fresh varietal
characteristics, without emphasizing the perception of aggressiveness or dryness. Compliments on a sensorial level wine
fermented with ICV-GRE (in Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon or Cabernet Franc) or ICV-D21 (in Syrah, Zinfandel, Grenache or
Mourvèdre) and short maceration program.
• High-end red wines from perfectly ripe and concentrated grapes: to develop licorice notes and the tannic intensity in
the mid-palate. Good synergy with ICV-D80 (in Zinfandel, Carignan, Grenache, Sangiovese or Mourvèdre) and ICV-D21 (in
Syrah or Merlot). Slightly re-orients the style with the strain ICV-D254 (in Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Petit
Verdot, Barbera or Touriga Nacional) towards increased perceptible tannins in the mid-palate.
• Wines from botrytis grapes to avoid sulfur compounds and earthy notes. Also to stabilize the color extracted, emphasize
greater tannic intensity and avoid drying sensations and ’hot’ alcohol in the finish.
LALLEMAND Inc. is a privately held Canadian company, founded at the end of the 19th century, specializing in the development, production, and marketing of yeasts and bacteria. Lallemand owes its success to a constant pursuit of excellence, flexibility, ongoing investments in research and development and a broad range of high quality products.