Here’s two ounces of dual-purpose American Noble CASCADE hop pellets from YCH, the co-op formed by the merger of Yakima Chief and Hop Union. The co-op is grower owned. These hops come in a nitrogen flushed light and oxygen barrier foil pack so that they will remain useable for a long time. We sell enough of these so that they will be consistently fresh for you.
CASCADE: Cascade hops are the signature hop for American Pale Ales. Cascade has a pleasant flowery, spicy, citrus-like quality with a slightly grapefruit characteristic. The hop is good for both flavor and aroma uses. It can also be used for bittering effectively, and can be used to make any beer, ale, and some lagers. Think lawnmowers! Cascade originated in 1956 from an open seed collection that included an English Fuggle, a Russian Serebrianker, and an unknown male. Well balanced, Beta 5.5 Alpha 6.3
Cascade has become overwhelmingly popular among brewers. It has an unmistakable citrus grapefruit aroma that makes it one of the easiest hops to recognize. Cascade is the aroma hop used in: Anchor’s Liberty Ale, Sierra’s Nevada Pale Ale, and almost every West Coast Ale.
American Noble Hops™ are a new line of pellets from Yakima Chief Hops that are debittered during the Cryo process, making them ideal for use in more delicate beers like Pilsners and Belgians, and perfect for dry hopping and late kettle editions. They are purer and cleaner and so the “Noble” designation. American Noble Hops™ are a Brewing aide, not just another hop replacement.
AMERICAN NOBLE HOPS pellets are designed to share traditional noble hop variety characteristics, including high aromatics and low alpha acids, while retaining regional hop characteristics that make them unique to America’s Pacific Northwest. AMERICAN NOBLE HOPS pellets are a high-quality, consistent solution for providing nuanced flavors and aromas from varieties like Cascade, Citra® Brand, Mosaic® Brand and Simcoe® Brand, making them perfect for Pilsner, Kölsch, Blonde, Saison and/or Sour beer styles.
BENEFITS OF UTILIZING AMERICAN NOBLE HOPS™
• Unique flavor profiles from high-resin hops
• Noble hop replacement with reliable supply
• High-quality, low-alpha product
• Low cost alternative
• Source of polyphenols & antioxidants
• Controlled, oxygen-free production environment
• Solvent, heat, & pressure free processing
AMERICAN NOBLE HOPS analytically appear similar to traditional low-alpha varieties, however, the bract itself contains many other variety-specific brewing characteristics. AMERICAN NOBLE HOPS contribute pleasant noble bitterness with the unique aroma of higher resin Northwest varieties due to the extraction of water soluble flavor compounds such as flavonoids, glycosides and polyphenols.
USAGE: INTRODUCING AMERICAN NOBLE HOPS™ INTO BEER:
- KETTLE: Late kettle additions are preferred because the low alpha content will not provide enough bittering and the aromatics will be boiled off.
- WHIRLPOOL: The whirlpool provides a good blend of the aromatic addition and the ability to remove vegetal material before it enters the fermenter.
- FERMENTER: Subtle aromatic characteristics can be achieved through dry hopping. An increased diacetyl rest may be required due to the hop creep phenomenon (re-fermentation that occurs after dry hopping).
- COLD PRESSED PELLETS: To ensure preservation of the essential oils and resins, the production process is conducted at cool temperatures, approximately 30 degrees lower than T-90 pellet production. AMERICAN NOBLE HOPS pellets perform similar to T-90 hop pellets and have comparable density and dissolving characteristics.