- THE STRENGTH OF MUSLIN: With many hop filtering bags on the market, it’s hard to figure out which ones to buy. Filters are a great method to extract hops when making homemade beer. Common materials include mesh, nylon, or muslin fabric. Muslin bags are the best of the three due to the durability, permeability, and stretchy disposition of the material. Nominally 14”, our hop boiling bags stretch in length. It also holds up to 3 ounces of hop pellets and one pound of grain.
- A NO-FUSS EXTRACTION METHOD: Whether you are using hop pellets, whole hops, or whole grains, it’s more convenient to use these bags by submerging them directly into the brew than try to filter after the fac. Muslin bags are ideal because you get the same extraction of flavors without worrying about the pellets or grain getting stuck in your homebrew equipment. Simply pull out your muslin bag when you’ve reached optimal flavor displacement. This method greatly diminishes the hassle of build-up and clean-up.
- CUT BACK ON EXPENSES AND WASTE: At Hobby Homebrew we are firm believers in doing what we can to cut back on costs and environmental waste. We encourage you to use our bags more than once to support our efforts to be eco-friendly. These muslin steeping grain socks are reusable and washable, so you can use them a couple times before the bags lose their integrity or becoming ineffective. They are stain resistant and odor-free as well, so reusing a bag won’t influence the taste of your beer. Or if you prefer not the bother of wringing them out, the bag is compostable and you can put bag and all in your compost pile.
- INCREASE SURFACE AREA FOR MORE TASTE: Extracting the flavor of hops is an integral part of the beer-making process. Used primarily as a flavoring and stability agent, hops impart bitter, zesty, and citric flavors, making the undertones of your craft brew come alive. You need to optimize surface area for your pellets to work properly. Our cotton bags are stretchy and porous which means your hops or grain won’t be too confined so you will get full extraction of flavor.
- NOT JUST FOR BEER: While we are home brewing enthusiasts and these bags are sold for brewing, they are very versatile in all sorts of uses from loose leaf tea steeping to making herb sacks for soups and stews. These can be used as almond milk and juice bags as well. Muslin material is better than the ever-popular cheese cloth because it is stronger and more stretchy. These are easy-to-use bags for all sorts of projects and creations in the kitchen.